The care and protection of children, young people and vulnerable adults involved in Church activities is the responsibility of the whole Church. Everyone who participates in the life of the Church has a role to play in promoting a Safer Church for all.
At St Simon's we take Safeguarding seriously. We follow the guidance of the Church of England and the Diocese of London (see links below), which we have adopted as a church ourselves in the policy outlined below:
THE PARISH OF ST SIMON'S, ROCKLEY ROAD, LONDON W6
The following policy was adopted in August 2019, and ratified by the Parochial Church Council (PCC) at its September 2019 meeting.
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Parish Safeguarding Officer (PSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints Funlayo Akeredolu as the Parish Safeguarding Officer.
Incumbent .............. Revd Cameron Collington
Churchwarden ...............Danny Prior
TO CONTACT THE PSO PLEASE PHONE THE CHURCH OFFICE ON: 020 7603 4879
FOR HELP AND ADVICE ON SAFEGUARDING ISSUES:
Hammersmith & Fulham Council Child Protection:
Hammersmith & Fulham Adult Safeguarding:
National Domestic Violence Helpline:
SEE LINKS BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND'S SAFEGUARDING: